Darajani market is one of the best places I always pass when I am in Zanzibar. Here you will have to get fresh green peas all the year around. One day I passed there on Wednesday and it just came to my mind, the next day will be in Thursday, and I remembered that Finnish Pea soup with pancakes, which we ate every Thursday in the army and in schools in Finland. I really miss pea soup. But then I cannot prepare such pea soup like that in Finland. Any way I bought the fresh peas and went home. The following is what I prepared to a Dutch friend of mine who was Director of Veta Hotel in Dodoma Mr. Allard who visited me that evening.
- 1 kg. Fresh green peas
- 1 l. mutton stock
- 5 table spoons flour
- 1 chopped red onion
- 150 ml. heavy cream
- salt and white pepper
- 100 ml. Sandeman sherry
- A few freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Broad - leafed parsley as garnish
- Boil the peas in the stock for about 10 minutes and blend the peas and stock in the food processor.
- Shake the flour with a little bit of cold stock in a thickening baker; add the chopped onions and the cream. Let the soup boil for at least 5 minutes to remove the taste of flour.
- Season with salt, pepper, sherry and the freshly chopped coriander to give the soup a special character. Top off with sprig of parsley, for a fresh green contrast to the deeper, duller green of soup.
- Serve the soup with Chapati bread.