One of Ramadhan desserts I ate when I was a kid was Bii's sweet dumplings ( Abdallah Abdulrahman Bomba's mother ). She cooked the best dumplings. I really enjoyed them. This recipee is in actual fact hers, she used a little bit of fresh yogurt ( mtindi ).The meaning of mixing yougurt in the batter is to make the dumplings dry after frying.
- 3 cups white flour
- 2 teaspoons yeast with a pinch of sugar ( mixed )
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup warm water water
- oil for frying
- Add to flour a little salt, water and the yogurt, and mix to a thick batter. Leave aside for six (6) hours.
- Mix the yeast with the sugar and warm water, leave to ferment.
- Add the yeast to the batter and mix until batter peaks; leave aside for a further three hours.
- Method of Frying:
- Heat the oil.
- Shape batter into little balls, and put them a few at a time in the hot deep oil and fry until golden brown.
- Dumplings should be entirely covered with oil during frying.
- Take great care as the oil will splash during the course of frying. When frying is
- When frying is complete soak the dumplings in syrup and serve hot.
The Syrup (Shira)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- juice of half a lemon
- Put the water in a pan with the sugar and place over a medium heat; bring to boil and allow to boil for ten minutes, removing the froth as it appears.
- Add the lemon juice and leave to simmer for ten minutes; add the rose water